Don’t put the dog before the cart…until he is trained!
Many people love the idea of being able to hitch their dogs to a cart and have them pull the kids around the yard or in a parade. Or they have a breed of dog that has been bred to work as a draft dog and are interested in participating in competitions held by clubs around the country that test both dog and handler’s skill pulling a cart. While this may seem simple, training a dog to willingly and safely do the work to pull a cart actually involves a lot of learning and effort on the part of both the dog and the handler. In this new book, author Laura Waldbaum will teach you what you and your dog need to know to help develop a “happy draft dog.”
You will learn
- The skills your dog needs to learn before he is introduced to the cart including attention, how to stop/go/go faster and how to back up.
- All about the equipment you will need including a variety of harnesses and carts—and how to acclimate your dog to the equipment.
- The training required based on what your interest in carting—from pulling a wagon around the backyard to participating in parades to formal competitions.
- What you need to know about draft dog competitions including what to expect, the skills you need to master and how to troubleshoot problem areas.
Laura Waldbaum has been competing with dogs all her life, first as a Jr. Handler in the conformation ring with her English Setters, and later in obedience. Laura currently competes with Bernese Mountain Dogs who have AKC titles in Rally, Agility, Conformation, and Tracking. She and her dog Sadie were the 7th team to earn the highest title in BMDCA Draft work, Master Draft Dog.
Published- 2011 Dogwise Publishing
Reviews- Carting with Your Dog is an excellent beginning tool to use in the carting arena. Laura has done a very good job of spelling out the basics and offering helpful and informative ideas on how to make drafting a success for you and your dog from the beginning all the way through to entering a draft test. The book shows you what basic skills are needed and how to expand those skills to enjoy a successful carting experience.
Valerie Horney, Bernese Mountain Dog Club of America President and Draft Judge
A wonderful, clear, and useful resource! I love the focus on increasing the dog’s desire and enthusiasm for this work through carefully planned steps based on positive reinforcement. This book is full of great training ideas and advice!
Deborah Jones, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Psychology, author of Clicker Fun book and DVD series and co-author In Focus books and DVD series
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at [email protected]