Detailed study of evolution of canine social behavior. Leads the reader step-by-step through the various aspects involved in development of single social behavior patterns. Also a comparative study, this book dismisses many common beliefs and assumptions, and leaves the reader with simple, sound explanations. For all students of animal behavior. Revised, updated, and expanded!
Rodger Abrantes, ethologist, Ph.d, DHC, MAPC is the author to 17 books published in Danish, Swedish, Norweigan and English. He is currently the scientific director of the Institute of Ethology at the Hong Agriculture School, Denmark.
Published 2004 Dogwise Publishing
THE LATHAM LETTER
“The idea of dominance-aggression is biased. It is possible to be aggressive and dominant, but the term suggests the dog attacks because it is dominant. No dog attacks another because of dominance. Dominance aims at controlling the other by means of ritualized behavior, without harming or injuring it…” This is a book for all students of animal behavior who wish to uncover the whys and hows of canine social behavior. Roger Abrantes, Ph.D. (Evolutionary Biology and Ethology) DHC DF MAPBC, born in Portugal in 1951, has lived most of his life in Denmark. He is the author of 17 books in English, German, Spanish, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, and Czech as well as numerous articles on behavior. He is probably one of the most versatile ethologists in the world. His book Dog Language—An Encyclopedia of Canine Behavior is a perennial best-seller. Dr. Abrantes is especially known for his views on social behavior and its applications to the understanding of pet behavior, and for his working methods where he uses psychology rather than the power to teach an animal new patterns patiently and efficiently, step-by-step. His present work involves research into the evolution of human behavior.
CANINE REVIEW This is the second edition of an already first rate book, the updates are noted and timely. This book outlines the basics of dog behavior and expression based on scientific study, not Disney-fiction of the cute little animals. One learns reading this, that all behavior has a function, not a purpose and that these two terms cover very different aspects. Understanding this will help understand the behaviour of the family dog. Dr. Abrantes walks the walk as well. No arm chair theoretician, he has titled hunting dogs, in the field, as well as trained at the professional level all canine units in Denmark, including police, drug and customs dogs, as well as dogs from all three Military Disciplines. Three paws up on this one.
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at email@example.com