Trainers and animal behaviourists around the globe consider Pam Reid’s Excel-erated Learning one of the most important and influential books ever written in the field of dog behaviour. Although that’s a hard act to follow, Dog InSight, Pam’s second book, does not disappoint. In over forty fascinating essays, Pam explores a wide range of topics, including learning theory, training techniques and behaviour problems.
You will learn:
- Why early enrichment and socialization are crucial when raising a puppy.
- Why you should take puppy “temperament tests” with a grain of salt.
- Why dogs are incredibly adept at reading body language and solving certain kinds of complex problems—but “spectacularly dense” when facing other tasks.
- Why misunderstanding dominance theory often leads to failure when people try to change problem behaviours in dogs.
Pam’s insights are both educational and thought-provoking. Not only does she deliver scientifically sound information; she also challenges the reader to re-examine several widely held—but not necessarily accurate—beliefs about dogs. If you’re at all interested in canine behaviour, you won’t want to miss out on this well-presented wealth of knowledge.
Pamela Reid is a trained scientist, a certified behaviourist and a dog trainer with PhD in animal learning and behaviour. She has consulted on thousands of cases over the years, working with everything from an attack cat whose owner had to call 911 to a suicidal dog who leapt out a third story window.
Published 2012 Dogwise Publishing
Praise for Dogs InSight
Wonderful! At long last, another book from Dr. Pamela Reid. I can remember eagerly waiting for each new article when they were first published in Dogs in Canada and am so excited that they are now compiled together. I simply can’t say enough good things about this book. Dog InSight is a MUST read for all dog owners. Dr. Ian Dunbar, Founder of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Dog InSight is a must-read book for dog owners who seek plainspoken guidance on ways to improve their relationships with their dogs. If your dog has ever quivered with fear at a clap of thunder, forgotten his housetraining skills, or simply befuddled you with his wacky antics, Dr. Reid’s insights into the causes of behavioral problems, along with her advice on modification techniques, will prove enlightening. Throughout the book, Dr. Reid debunks myths that have pervaded among dog owners. Readers will no longer fear that playing tug-of-war with their puppies will foster aggressiveness. With her thoughtful approach and real-life examples, Dr. Reid has written a book that is destined to become a resource for dog owners everywhere.
Ed Sayres, President & CEO, American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
As a colleague I have had the pleasure of hearing Pam Reid’s insights on dog behavior for a number of years. In her new book, Dog InSight she brings her thoughts to a larger audience. Dr. Reid uses common examples of dog behavior familiar to everyone who has shared their life and home with a dog to illustrate our current scientific understanding of dogs and their behavior. At the same time she weaves a compelling story about how her insights can help to ensure that both dogs and people will enjoy being together and doing things together.
Stephen L. Zawistowski, Ph. D., CAAB, Science Advisor, The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
Seattle Kennel Club
…She addresses the symbiotic relationship of dog and man in three sections – behavior, training and behavior problems, placing a huge emphasis on early socialization and handling and the huge dividends they produce later.
Boldface titling, short, focused entries and reflective case-in-point examples from classes add up to an empowering read that will enable the owner to interpret his/her dogs needs and behavior at a higher level…
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at email@example.com