The sport for your dog’s inner “herder”
The best dog sports are those that are fun for both you and your dog while offering the opportunity to build your skills as a trainer and strengthening your relationship with your dog. Treibball meets all of these criteria which is why it is growing in popularity among dog people worldwide.
Originating in Germany as a way to give dogs an outlet for their natural herding instincts, Treibball includes elements of herding trials, canine “soccer” and obedience. The dog is asked to perform a number of tasks under direction, at an increasing distance from his handler, while off-leash. The goal is for the dog to drive eight balls to his handler in a designated goal area within a ten-minute time period. The author presents the training protocols step-by-step and uses non-force methods including clicker training and shaping to get the desired behaviors. Whether you decide to compete or use Treibball for fun and bonding, you and your dog will benefit from working together to build the skills necessary to play this fun new game.
You will learn:
- How to train your dog to perform the movements necessary to “herd” eight balls of various sizes into a goal area by following your verbal and hand signals.
- How to shape behaviors step-by-step and build in complexity and distractions so your dog is ready for whatever may happen on the field of play.
- The rules of the sport as established by the American Treibball Association.
- To respond to a variety of challenges that the goal-line judge has the discretion to give during play.
- Force-free, dog friendly training methods.
- That all dogs, not just herding breeds, can enjoy Treibball.
Dianna L. Stearns is a Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed, a Certified Dog Behavior Consultant, and the owner of Waggins West Dog Training and Behavior Consulting. Dianna is a co-founder and currently serves as President of the American Treibball Association. She lives in Northglenn, Colorado.
Published- 2013 Dogwise Publishing
Reviews- This book offers the most accurate information on the new dog sport, Treibball, from its beginnings to the path it travels today. The step-by-step approach to training the Treibball dog from extreme beginner to well versed competitor makes this book a must have for anyone interested in training for ribbons or simply looking for a fun and bonding backyard experience with their dog. The information is easy to understand and well thought out. Trainers, instructors, competitors and dog owners alike will benefit from the addition of this book to their library.
Renea L. Dahms DipCBST, CTDI, RMT, author Family Companion Dog. An Owner’s Manual to Relationship Centered Leadership, Founder of Platinum Paw Shelter Education & Enrichment Program
Finally, a book and a safe and positive new dog sport I can happily recommend for dogs and people of all age and sizes. Dianna Stearns has created the perfect book/workbook for everyone to learn Treibball, easy to read, lots of illustrations, this book is a winner!
Darlene Arden, CABC, author of Rover, Get Off Her Leg!, Small Dogs, Big Hearts, and The Angell Memorial Animal Hospital Book of Wellness and Preventive Care for Dogs
As a Treibball participant and instructor, I am excited to have a high quality reference for at-home instruction that I can refer clients and seminar attendees to for further learning and practice opportunities. Whether you are picking up a ball and clicker for the first time or have been practicing with your dog for months or years, all Treibball devotees will find the color photos, diagrams, and illustrations helpful learning aids as you learn together about America’s fastest growing dog sport!
Casey Lomonaco, KPA CTP, Board of Trustees Association of Pet Dog Trainers and Dogwise John Fisher Essay Award winner 2009
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at [email protected]