The Dog: Its Domestication and Behavior by Dr. Michael W. Fox was one of the first and most important studies of hows dogs became domesticated and how that process impacted the behavior we see in our pets today. Written well before (1978) anyone had even thought about the canine genome, this book was a major step forward at the time in our understanding of domestication on behavior. Fox noted that the domestication of dogs influenced the kinds of behavior we see today that is in such contrast to wolves including docility, adaptability, and a reduction of “wild” behavior such as seen in wolves such as aggression and predation. It also clearly resulted in an animal who became quickly dependent on people to survive. This book makes for fascinating reading especially when coupled with the more recent work of modern researchers such as Raymond Coppinger.
The Dog: Its Domestication and Behavior is a Dogwise Classic Ebook originally published in 1978. Titles selected for this series are out-of-print works that are interesting, informative, and historically significant. They are the foundation for our current knowledge and Dogwise Publishing is keeping them alive for today’s dog enthusiasts.
Michael W. Fox, D.Sc, Ph.D, BVetMed, a veterinarian and ethologist, was born and educated in England. He received his D.S.c and Ph.D from London University. He is the author of more than 30 books on animal behaviour, training and health. Contributions to this volume included many distinguished scientists who specialise in behavioural psychology, ecology, genetics, and animal and human sociology.
Published 1978 Dogwise Publishing
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org