What’s It About?
Many owners become frustrated and overwhelmed living with a dog with separation anxiety, and some even give up. While most trainers are aware of standard protocols and approaches, some dogs just haven’t read the game plans, and outside-the-box solutions are needed. Living with Sierra, a shelter dog who came with a deeply entrenched case of separation anxiety, has given Nicole an insider’s perspective on separation issues and has emphasized the fact that a cookie-cutter approach does not work for every dog. Nicole’s twenty years of experience as a canine behavior specialist, along with her newfound empathy for owners, allowed her to develop outside-the-box, creative ways to address separation problems and to support owners.
- How to accurately diagnose a separation issue, and how to differentiate separation anxiety from isolation distress.
- Root causes, and how owners can have an influence for better or worse.
- Creative management options, including what to do in an emergency.
- The Alone Zone: Where in (or outside) the house to leave your dog when you’re away; what is not recommended and why.
- The latest, easy-to-use technological advances that allow you to monitor your dog while you’re away.
- Assessing if and when pharmacological intervention is appropriate, and two natural alternatives to consider.
- Complementary products and therapies that may help.
- Separation anxiety myths (you might be surprised at some of the “accepted wisdom” that is simply untrue!).
- Common questions, such as “Could getting a second dog help?”
- A structure to help you formulate a customized behavior modification plan.
Whether you are a trainer, owner, or shelter/rescue worker, you will come away from this seminar with a better understanding of separation issues and how to modify them in order to lessen stress for both owners and dogs, and to give dogs a better chance at a forever home.
DVD- 2 disc set. Running Time 2hr 43 min.