What’s It About?
When Emma Parsons, canine trainer and behavior consultant, discovered that her own prized golden retriever was aggressive toward other dogs and that traditional remedies took his reactivity to nightmarish levels, she turned to clicker training. In the process, Emma developed innovative and highly effective strategies to calm, alter, and re-shape her dog’s aggressive displays. Her work has since helped many clients successfully reduce and even erase their dogs’ reactivity.
More than 40 exercises in an easy-to-follow training recipe format, teaching how to:
- Desensitize your dog to approaching stranger dogs
- Allow you to grab your dog’s collar without him snapping
- Have your dog perform canine calming signals, instead of aggressive displays, on cue
- Have your dog turn and give you eye contact whenever another dog approaches, or you tighten on the leash
- Use your own body language when under stress as a cue for your dog to remain calm
…and many more creative and effective uses of managing behavior through clicker training!
About the Author
Emma Parsons, a trainer affiliated with Karen Pryor Clickertraining, is the author of the book Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog. Emma is a member of the faculty of ClickerExpo, where she teaches several sessions related to aggression. Emma was recently granted the Animal Welfare Advancement award from the Animal Behavior and Management Association for her paper “Ben: An Aggressive Dog Case Study.”
Published 2004 Sunshine Books