The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program will help your puppy, purebred or mixed breed, become a well-behaved and healthy member of your family and the community. Socialization, Training, Activity and Responsible Ownership are what every puppy needs in order to have a good life and this book will help you every step of the way! Puppies who graduate from S.T.A.R. classes have the foundation to be successful in the AKC’s Canine Good Citizen (CGC) program and succeed in more advanced activities such as obedience, agility, rally and therapy dog work.
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is about much more than teaching the basics such as sit, down and come. It includes practical information about introducing your puppy to the world, housetraining (including using a crate), health care, advice from nationally recognized breed experts, what to expect at every developmental stage and the right time to start home and group training. You’ll learn how to apply the science of “applied behavior analysis” to make your training efforts more successful. This user-friendly book explains how to reinforce behaviors you like and how to avoid common mistakes including inadvertently encouraging undesirable behaviors, how to teach complex behaviors by using step-by-step techniques and how to reduce fear and anxiety in your puppy. If you and your puppy learn the twenty essential S.T.A.R. skills, you can receive a certificate and the gold S.T.A.R. medal from AKC and be well on your way to other exciting activities and a lifetime of fun!
For those of you trainers who are AKC Approved Canine Good Citizen Evaluators, S.T.A.R. represents an exciting business opportunity to draw in more clients who wish to participate in this program. Most competent trainers teaching puppy classes will find that they are already doing many of the things that a participant would need to know to pass the test, so attracting these new clients should not mean you have to dramatically change the way you teach your classes.
Mary is a Certified Behaviour Analyst. She has also been approved as a Certified Applied Animal Behaviourist by the Animal Behaviour Society. Her behavioural research has been published by the U.S Department of Education. Dr Burch has trained dogs to the advanced levels of obedience and is considered a national expert on the topic of therapy dogs. She has won the Maxwell Medallion from the Dog Writers’ Association of America for her writing on dog related topics, and is a founding member of the Animal Trainer’s Forum in the Association for Behaviour Analysis.
Published 2013 Dogwise Publishing
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org