Anne Lilll Kvam’s newest book contains all the information needed to train your dog to use their fabulous sense of smell to search and track everything from treats and toys to lost keys and people! Kvam provides clear and detailed step-by-step instructions for each exercise, and puts a strong emphasis on the importance of using positive reinforcement in training. Training your dog to use their nose to search and track is a unique activity that you and your dog can enjoy together and will enrich the lives of all participants, human and dog alike!
• Explains in detail how treat search tracking is a perfect activity for all dogs, from puppies to seniors, couch potatoes or dogs with limited mobility to high-energy dogs
• Contains clear explanations of how to get started and what to do if you or your dog get stuck
• Outlines ways to increase the level of challenge while still setting the dog up for success and avoiding frustration or burnout
• Provides a thorough introduction to tracking and discusses how and when to increase difficulty of tracking with the age and length of tracks
• Gives great tips for helpers & handlers for tracking exercises
• Includes photos and true stories of tracking dogs!
Praise from bestselling author Alexandra Horowitz:
Dogs live in a world of smell — one that most dog people aren’t privy to. Anne Lill Kvam’s book offers the contemporary dog person the means and method to interact with their dogs in that vitally important, yet oft overlooked area. Her dogs have smelled out water, found lost keys, and located wayward sheep by their odor alone. Kvam’s experience and technique combine here to provide something that no other training book does. Dog folks: read this book!
Alexandra Horowitz Senior Research Fellow, Dog Cognition Lab at Barnard College and Author of Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know.
Anne Lill Kvam began working with scent discrimination dogs in Africa to detect land mines decades ago. She now works with people all over the world to discover the joys of scent work with their dogs through International Dog Trainer Education Courses. Anne lives in Norway where she continues to explore the fabulous sense of smell that dogs possess.
Note: Some of the material in this book previously appeared in the author’s The Canine Kingdom of Scent published in 2012.