What is challenging for so many trainers is that their success in working with dogs ultimately depends on the cooperation, understanding and follow-through of the people who bring their dogs to them to be trained. Failure to work with people often leads to failure with the dogs. In The Human Half of Dog Training, author Risë VanFleet draws upon her years of experience of working with people as a child and family psychologist to teach dog trainers how to take a collaborative approach with clients to help insure the best possible outcomes for their dogs.
Dogs? No Problem! People? Yikes!!
Most dog trainers have a strong desire to help dogs learn appropriate behaviors and solve the kinds of problems that most dogs experience or create. It is why they get into the business in the first place and it is what they are trained to do. What is challenging for so many trainers is that their success in working with dogs ultimately depends on the cooperation, understanding and follow-through of the people who bring their dogs to them to be trained. Failure to work with people often leads to failure with the dogs. In The Human Half of Dog Training, author Risë VanFleet draws upon her years of experience of working with people as a child and family psychologist to teach dog trainers how take a collaborative approach with clients to help insure the best possible outcomes for their dogs.
You will learn:
The vital skill of empathic listening so that the trainer truly understands the needs and goals of the client.
How cognitive distortions and resistance can disrupt the trainer/client relationship.
How to work with a family in cases where spouses or children may complicate the trainer/client relationship.
Ways to handle common objections and to get clients to commit to training programs.
Risë VanFleet, Ph.D., RPT-S, CDBC, is a licensed psychologist, registered play therapist-supervisor, and certified dog behavior consultant with nearly 40 years of clinical and leadership experience working with children and families. She is the president of the Family Enhancement & Play Therapy Center and founder of its Playful Pooch Program located in Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania where she lives with her husband, five dogs and three cats.
Published 2012 Dogwise Publising
The most gaping hole in the pet dog training literature has finally been filled, and filled with radiant savoire-faire. Risë Van Fleet has hit it out of the park.
Jean Donaldson, Founder, The Academy for Dog Trainers, author of Oh Behave!
The Human Half of Dog Training is a practical and theoretical book that fills a much-needed hole in the dog training literature. Risë’s background in working with humans, combined with her skills as a dog trainer, give her a unique perspective on how to get our clients on board. If you’ve ever been frustrated by your clients’ resistance or lack of follow-through, this book is for you!
Grisha Stewart, MA, CPDT-KA, KPACTP, author of Behavior Adjustment Training
To download your Ebook simply click on the links that will be displayed on the order confirmation page once your payment has been made. The links will also be sent via email within your order confirmation email.
We give you all three of the major Ebook formats when you purchase from us – Adobe PDF, Mobi (For Kindle), and ePub (Sony Bookreader, Nook, Ipad/phone/touch, Droid, and other e-reader devices). For many of our Ebooks, you’ll also find a pdf of the front cover of the book
You can download each of these 3 formats up to 3 times.
The PDF format is great for printing. It also means that you’re not locked into one brand of bookreader. You don’t even need an Ebook reader! Just download the PDF version of the book and read it on your computer.
This format is supported by the Sony Reader, Barnes and Noble Nook, and the Apple Ipad/Itouch/Iphone. Please note that most smartphones and other bookreaders use the Epub format. Refer to your user manual for specific instructions or contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
- To add a book to your Ipad/touch/phone make sure you have the latest version of Itunes. In addition, make sure you have the iBooks app installed available free from Apple.
- Download the Epub file with your computer – using the Safari Browser built into your Apple Device will not work.
- Connect your Apple Device to your computer.
- Open Itunes.
- Drag the Epub file into your Library, it should go into the books folder.
- Select your Ipad in the devices dialogue on the left-hand side.
- Go to the books tab and make sure you have the sync books option turned on.
- You can now sync your Apple Device and the book should appear in your bookshelf.
This format is the Kindle Specific format. To add a Mobi (“.mobi”) Ebook to your Kindle:
- Turn your Kindle on
- Connect the Kindle to your computer using the USB cable that came with your Kindle
- Drag and drop the “.mobi” Ebook file into the documents folder on your Kindle
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, “Safely Remove Mass Storage Device” (Windows) or “Eject” (Mac) the Kindle from your computer
- When the USB activity indicator on your Kindle stops flashing, unplug the USB cable from your Kindle
- The Ebook should now appear in your Kindle library
Any problems do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org